Monday, June 28, 2010

THE BEST BIRTHDAY IS WITH GOD



“Lord— I, because of your abundant kindness, will enter your house; I will worship at your holy temple in fear of you, O Lord.” – Psalm 5:8

It is certain that among the birthday traditions that almost every Filipino keep is to go to church. Just ask any birthday celebrant, most likely, going to church shall be among the ways to celebrate one’s natal day. Even among ‘non-practicing’ Catholics, who seldom go to Sunday Mass, will do so during their birthday.

For whatever reason: folk religiosity, superstition or sentimentality, we have one purpose in coming to church on our birthday— and that is to pray. Most pray in gratitude for the life given by God. More pray for particular wishes to come true. Others ask for guidance, direction or necessities. And some simply wonder to God if they had a real purpose for being born in this world.

We may not readily show how special we feel on our birthday but we have to admit that a sense of profoundness pervades, almost a religious experience, on this day. No matter how modest we are in keeping the celebration as simple as possible, we feel this day is extra-ordinary. No other day throughout the year can be personally pertinent as this day. So, it is but fitting to spend it with the One Who caused this day to happen— God.





“Thy hands have made me and fashioned me.” (Psalm 119:73) is a reiteration that God is our Creator. Hence, nothing can be more appropriate to celebrate one’s birthday but to give thanks to Him who is the giver of life and the best provider of our necessities because He knew what we need even before we ask.
God said, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee.” (Jeremiah 1:5) Then Jesus said, “Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:7) God is our very beginning. He knew us better than we know ourselves. Thus, we have to continually come back to Him to pay Him homage and to express our ever dependence on Him even in the midst of human achievements.

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) Whenever we are in doubt or anxious about what lies ahead after each birthday, how comforting it is that He is there to guide our path and steer our direction, if only we will let Him.

We are indeed born into this world with a specific purpose. We had faith that tells us we are not here by accident. Even in the most unexpected circumstances surrounding a person’s birth, such as being born out of wedlock or with handicap, God had a pre-ordained plan to let such things happen. Even in the most tragic moments or when “bad things happen”, God allows them for a purpose greater than what any human perception could ever conceive of.

Kelly Jeppesen said, "What you are is God's gift to you. What you make of yourself is your gift back to God." God had given us the best gift on our birthday— life. It is up to us to make something out of this gift. How we live our life shall determine how we value this precious gift. We are responsible for this gift. We are to use it for the glory of the One who gave it. Someday when our earthly journey has finally come to an end, we will be face to face with God, and hopefully after thorough perusal of our life, He shall say, “Well done, good and faithful servant! Come and share your master's happiness!"- (Matthew 25:23)

As I celebrate another birthday today, I come to church in prayer with a heart full of gratitude, a soul yearning for mercy and a spirit filled with hope. And I pray to God to grant whatever wish I have as long as it is according to His will. I acknowledge my own powerless will against Him, even if He believes I can do something great from the life He gave me. Without Him I could do nothing. But with Him I could do everything. Only in these terms could anyone’s best birthday possible and to be able to look ahead with much faith because it is with the Lord.

The following prayer was adapted from ‘Presence: Prayer for Busy People’ (Copyright 1991 by St. Paul Publications, Makati City, Philippines), however, they may as well be my own words since it expresses the same sentiment and aspiration I have as I pray today.

+ In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Dear Lord,
I thank You for giving me another year of life.
I thank You for all the people who remembered me today;
for all my achievements and all the friends You have given
me during the past year.

I thank You for all the experiences, the successes and
happy memories; for times of failure which reminded me
of my own weaknesses and of my need for you;
for times of joy when the sun was shining;
for times of sorrow which drove me to You.

Forgive me, Lord, for the hours I have wasted; for the
chances I failed to take; for the opportunities I missed in
the past year.

Forgive me that I did not use my talents and abilities to
the fullest because I was lazy and wanted things the easy way,
or I did not completely trust in Your support.

Help me in the days that lies ahead to make this coming year
better than last year and closer to You, my Lord.
Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment